Maple syrup and vanilla ice cream


I tried Brina with the doggie diaper this afternoon, but it's a wee bit too big for her, so I'll have to find the pampers I keep in the basement for when needed, for house goats. 

 Kevin arrived home safely this afternoon from his trip to Georgia... back from the beautiful weather to our rainy weather. But rain is good this time of year, we need it so the flowers will grow and those tasty little morel mushrooms I can hardly wait to pick every spring will pop up.

This the last week of cooking with Tessa Kiros over at IHCC's... it's amazing how time flies. 

I found a recipe in Tessa's Apples for Jam cookbook I had not even noticed before. A recipe for maple syrup and vanilla ice cream... and since I have lots of farm fresh maple syrup at my disposal right now, I thought this would be the perfect thing to try.

I really loved her lemon ice cream too, but this maple syrup ice cream is true comfort food. It turns out way better than you imagine, just as the lemon ice cream did. It's hard to believe you can make such good ice cream without a machine and with absolutely no effort. I'm so glad I learned this trick from her. Learning how to make such amazing ice creams and also her cannelloni recipes, were my favorite parts about getting to know Tessa through her cookbooks. I've enjoyed every recipe I've tried from her books and from other members of IHCC's and I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that with her books, you'll be buying ones you'll use again and again.


Maple Syrup and vanilla ice cream
from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together the cream and maple syrup in a container that has a lid. Whisk in the milk and vanilla. Put the lid on the container and put it in the freezer. After an hour give the mixture a good whisk and return it to the freezer for a couple of hours. When the ice cream is nearly firm, whisk it again, and then put it back in the freezer to set. 

I topped ours with a little sprinkling of nutmeg for color and taste. It was so good, it tasted like cold, creamy vanilla ice cream, with lots of maple flavor. So easy, and so good. Why even bother to buy ice cream when it's this easy to make?

Comments

Mary Ann said…
Oh my gosh... I am going to try this! I'll have to buy the pure maple syrup, but it sounds wonderful!
Michelle B said…
Sounds wonderful! I appreciate that no machine is needed since I don't have one. ha!
This looks lovely! Pure maple syrup is extremely expensive over here! I can just imagine the flavour of this ice cream!
Deb in Hawaii said…
I had this one tagged to make but never got around to it--you make me want to go make it right now. It looks delicious!
NKP said…
There is nothing cuter than a goat in a diaper!
And the ice cream sounds wonderful! I love fresh maple syrup and I love ice cream - a match made in heaven!
The JR said…
Oh my, that is too cute!
Kim said…
Maple syrup is one of my all-time favorite flavors on the planet. I just love everything about it. Your ice cream looks so fantastic. Thanks for cooking Tessa's recipes along with us. Hope you'll join us for Bayless too :)
Heather S-G said…
Oh, I have had this bookmarked to make for a while...it sounds SO GOOD! And looks creamy and delicious. Wonderful farewell pick =)

Popular Posts