Water pump and eggplant Parm


Another beautiful day. One of our maples started turning red overnight. We came right by this maple on the way home last night and it wasn't even starting to turn. It's such a surprise everyday this time of year.

The Heron was in our pond this morning, eating frogs, so I went out on the deck and managed a good picture of her.


While I was up at the barn this morning, I filled the troughs and then turned the water off while I cleaned all the rabbits. I had a small load of laundry going at the house too, which I usually do when I return from the barn. When I was done with the rabbits, I went to turn the water on again and it was dry. So I came home and found there was no water in the house.

I had to get Kevin from the bush, he was in one of our very back forest Fields clearing it from the prickly ash.

We drove all the way back to the house, and he checked it and was able to fix it. The breaker had tripped and the pressure was gone. This is the first time this has ever happened, it tripping the breaker like that. We've had a few problems with it since we've been home from Alaska this summer. It seems to be working now, but when I turned the washer back on there wasn't enough water, so we'll see how it works later.

Izzie got her new halter on, it's big, but it fits, and it works for now. She was really enjoying not wearing a halter and taking full advantage of it! But she's at the age where I need to really start focusing on her training. She is very quiet, very gentle, but she is super shy. She will come to me, but it's going to take work. It's not like the bottle fed goats, where they would follow me all over the farm and to town and back. Cows are very different in the way they think, learn, and respond to things.

and as promised here is my eggplant Parmesan recipe adapted from one of my oldest vegetarian cookbooks. I've changed this recipe long ago and it's one of my tried, and trust recipes. The longer and slower you cook this the better, I absolutely would suggest trying it with goat cheese mozzarella!


Thinly slice 1 large eggplant, as thinly as possible. Put the slices in one layer on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Leave them there for about 20 minutes, this helps take some of the excess moisture out.

I saute the pieces in oil, just until they are lightly browned on either side. In a casserole dish, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce. Layer the browned eggplant slices on top of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper, then sprinkle on some shredded mozzarella (as much or as little as you'd like) and some Parmesan cheese.

Add another layer of eggplant and repeat. You can do three, I usually do two, depending on the size casserole dish I am using. Finish the top layer the same as the others, with cheese.

Bake in a 375 degree oven, uncovered for an hour, hour and a half, until the eggplant is very tender. Put sauce over fresh cooked pasta. Serve with a nice crusty bread.

It doesn't get much more simple, but this is a delicious and lighter version of eggplant parm.

I didn't get great pictures because, give me some credit, it was after 9:30 PM at night when we ate this and I was hungry and really tired!


Because it was such a nice day outside, I put the Prairie dogs and the birds out on the deck. They really seemed to enjoy themselves and even Dale came out to enjoy the sunshine. She has still been depressed since her best friend passed away in June, even though she has somewhat bonded with the other 4 Prairie dogs.




Kevin and I went out before dinner to see the field all mowed. It looked great. It's one of our furthest fields on the farm. The old people used it for hay. It's all been cleared many years ago.


this little guy was busy gathering nuts. He took a break to show me he can carry two at a time!


and on the way home, in the same spot, we saw the two young bucks again.... but they stopped this time to say hello. One has a fork, and the other has just one spike.


Hopefully we'll enjoy seeing them for many months to come if they decide to stick around.

Comments

Popular Posts